Blueline is hiring for a Senior Linux/Unix Engineer to provide operational support and project work for Managed Services clients. The Linux/Unix Engineer will help design, implement, and support production Linux/Unix systems, including Linux (RHEL), HP-UX, and Solaris. Also, the Linux/Unix Engineer will work on project-based initiatives for clients, including upgrades to existing infrastructure and deployment of new technology. The position will be the escalation point for each of the Network Operations Center (NOC) and Tier 2 support for questions and complex issue resolution. There is an on-call rotation associated with this position.
Demonstrate an understanding of technology as it pertains to Linux/Unix infrastructure and applications and be able to provide design recommendations, perform infrastructure upgrades, deploy new solutions, and troubleshoot issues. Individuals must be able to discuss issues with the managed services clients and be able to effectively apply technical knowledge to a client situation. Individuals will be contributing to client satisfaction by providing clients with timely and responsive services and work products.
Specific skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to:
- Thoroughly and accurately understand issues and analyze the problem in a systematic fashion.
- Analyze each client's specific request, determine the underlying problem, and recommend proper solution.
- Serve as an escalation point for the NOC and tier two support and provide advance Linux/Unix troubleshooting
- Understand and execute standard escalation procedures with tier two support.
- Strong communication skills to be able to work with client management and provide written and verbal status updates
- Experience with OS monitoring, patching, firmware upgrades, user account administration, syslog, file system management, Sendmail, and NFS
- Programming experience - Shell scripting, PERL, awk and sed.
- Experience with storage infrastructure a plus, including major platforms (EMC, NetApp, etc.), platform management products, and other storage-related technologies (fabric, replication, clustering, archiving)
- Exposure to databases platforms (Oracle / SQL)
- Basic Networking Knowledge
- Experience with backup technologies
- Assist in the design of resilient, redundant, fault tolerant, and scalable infrastructure solutions
- Act as a technical lead for new Linux/Unix infrastructure deployments or upgrades
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS, or equivalent required
- 2 - 3 years minimum of similar work experience in a client facing role
- Must have experience designing and supporting Linux/Unix environments
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to Chicagoland area clients with limited travel outside Chicago (less than 5%)